Solution will help prevent life-lasting disability and death
ARLINGTON, Texas – February 5, 2019 – OZ Systems today announced the launch of the first-ever newborn screening (NBS) suite specifically for hospitals to improve newborn patient safety and the standard of care while facilitating timely and accurate newborn blood spot screening.
Every year, more than 12,000 infants in the United States are affected by disorders commonly screened in the newborn period. Timely screening and accurate information are the keys to identifying these disorders, mitigating risk and averting disaster.
“With all newborn screening, there is a window of opportunity to change a baby’s future and prevent life-lasting disability or death,” said Dr. Terese Finitzo, CEO of OZ Systems. “We are assisting hospitals meet quality goals, essentially by automating timeliness. This is the first-ever end-to-end screening solution with real-time birth information for improved accuracy, electronic lab ordering to eliminate duplicate and error-prone data entry, smart specimen tracking with fast alerts and timely automated results communication back to hospitals.”
“It is our goal to leverage modern technology so that all babies have the opportunity to reach their full potential,” said Maria Cantu, OZ Systems vice president of operations. “We are committed to making a difference in newborn healthcare. Our integrated newborn specimen collection-to-reporting solution simplifies workflows in the hospital, eliminates handoffs to deliver timely results so hospitals’ NBS screening programs are more cost-effective, and reduces human error.”
- Reduces handwritten and error prone information on the baby’s specimen card through electronic capture from the hospital’s electronic health record (EHR)
- Provides worklists of babies needing screening and the status for each specimen collected
- Uses more than 2 patient identifiers for each baby’s specimen as per Joint Commission’s Patient Safety goals
- Improves identification by scanning the specimen ID barcode
- Displays age in hours in order to collect specimen at appropriate time
- Captures multiple specimens for an individual patient
- Submits an electronic lab order so the state lab is aware that a specimen is being sent**
- Packages specimen cards efficiently by generating the shipping manifest and label
- Tracks both specimens and packages during the shipping process; you know the status of every specimen
- Alerts the hospital when a specimen is delayed or missing
- Provides delivery notification to hospitals to meet CAP/CLIA regulations
- Transmits electronic lab results from the lab back to OZ eSP™ database, an integrated child health record, and to the hospital EHR**
- Captures the submitted information and stores it for future audits
“OZ Systems is the only company providing solutions for all mandated newborn screenings. Bundling OZ products provides greater workflow efficiency, improvement in patient safety and risk reduction,” concluded Finitzo.
More information about the OZ Newborn Screening Suite is available at https://ozsystems.com/hospitalsnbs
** varies by state and dependent on agreement with state laboratory
About OZ Systems
OZ Systems is an innovator in global screening solutions, bridging crucial information gaps to ensure quality care and timely interventions for patients and those who care for them. We develop end-to-end newborn screening software that reduces human errors and improves patient safety, quality of care and intervention timeliness. We are recognized for interoperability, and innovation in design and partnerships. OZ Systems has projects with U.S. and international health care providers and public health agencies.
About STACS DNA
STACS DNA delivers sample tracking systems to meet transparency, performance and regulatory expectations. Track-Kit™ tracks samples from collection to storage, preventing delayed or lost tests, and is the leading statewide sexual assault kit tracking system in the U.S. STACS® is the hub of automated DNA labs, providing an audit trail of all lab activity to maximize case throughput and minimize risk and errors. Our customers are federal, state, regional and local agencies, including many of the largest forensics DNA labs in North America. Visit www.stacsdna.com.
Contact: Wendy Welsh, 847-227-7506, email@example.com